Corona virus and lock down has brought our life to a standstill in many ways leaving little breathing space. The state of house arrest that today we find ourselves is both physically and mentally restraining not just for us but for our spouses and children too. Reducing personal space certainly makes not just you but your kids too equally irritable.
Below are few tips that will enable you to handle your kids and their temper tantrums in a more calm and effective way:
- Be Empathetic: Compared to adults, children have more physical energy and thus a greater need to stay active, move and run around. So next time when you are about to shout at them, try and be empathetic and understand that they probably feel more restrained than you.
- Be Patient: Try to be more calm and relaxed as your kids may be feeling more anxious, since they end up hearing different things all around and make all the less sense of the same.
- Be Communicative: Try and talk out your feelings of despair and irritability with them. Also talk about all the fun things you will do, places you will visit, restraints you will eat at, when life will regain normalcy. Instil hope, positivity and faith in good times.
- Be Accommodating: Involve kids in daily chores. Set a routine for them and don’t forget to have a specific fun- filled playful time with kids.
- Take Frequent breaks: Since you find yourself 24 X 7 surrounded by everyone at home which can be overwhelming for few, therefore take frequent short breaks, zone out, engage in solitude as this will help revive self.
Remember a family that lives, eats, stays, laughs, cries together, sails through tough times better.